Monastic life: Monks with community life
Abbot: Archimandrite Neonil Ştefan.
Titular Saint: “Birth of Saint John the Baptist” (24 iunie) (Birth of saint John), „ Assumption”(15 aug.).
History: The beginning of the monastery Frasinei dates back to 1710, when monks Ilarion and Stefan withdraw in these lonely places and founded a skete with a wooden church dedicated to "Birth of Saint John the Baptist".
In 1764, the boyars- brothers Cristea and Damian Iovipali and Nicolita Cristea´s son built a church wall in place of the wooden one, which was painted the same year by Teodor Zugravul and his pupil Enache. After the desolation made by the Austrians between 1787 and 1788, the skete was abandoned until 1845, when the monk Acachie came from Cernica who till June 10 1848, managed to restore it, with the permission of Gheorghe Iovipali, descendant of the first builders. He closed the church porch with brick and turned it in the narthex and rebuilt the sanctums. The painting was created in 1763 by Teodor Zugravul.
The church still exists; you can find it in the cemetery of monks and it is in a perfect working order. The church service is held only on June 24, with the occasion of the titular saint of the church. The Great Church of the monastery with the titular saint “Assumption” is the foundation of “Saint Ierarh Calinic from Cernica”, then episcope of Ramnic, his works dating from the period 1859-1863. The paintings are done in oil, in the style of Gheorghe Tattarescu, by the painter Misu Pop.
In 1905, Bishop Gherasim Safirim of Romanului built the chapel with the titular saint “Sfintii Trei Ierarhi”( "The saints Three Hierarchs") and continued the constructions on the south and the east wing of the church, constructions once started by St. Calinic. Given the great respect that the Ruler Alexandru Ioan Cuza (1859 to 1866 ) had to Saint Calinic, it is the only monastery in the country that has not been secularized. St. Calinic established the church service and the style of religious living as at the Mount Athos. The diet excludes meat and the women are forbidden to enter the monastery.
Healing spring: The Spring of St. Calinic.
Near the Frasinei monastery we can find the Skete Frasinei ( “Schitul Nou” -the new skete) with the titular saint “Nasterea Maicii Domnului”(Virgin´s Birth), a foundation of the monastic community from the Frasinei Monastery, between the years 1945 and 1946. It was built for the women who wanted to pray, because of the ban imposed by the saint Ierarh Calinic curse.