Monastic Life: Monks, with community life
Abbot: Protosinghellos Ioanichie Trifa.
Telephone: 0250/750851; 0742/068383.
Titular Saint: „ Transfiguration of the Lord” (6 August), „ Virgin´s entrance into the church " (21 November.).
History: The name "Turnu" comes from the massive observation tower of Roman armies that was built in the second century on the rock “Piscul lui Teofil” (Peak Theophilus ). The beginning of the monastic life was started in XV- XVI century, by a few monks from Cozia, who retreated here for more severe spiritual life, living in a perfect poverty, in carved in stone sanctums, in huts and wooden houses.
Among the most famous hermits who retreated here were Daniil and Misail whose carved in stone sanctums can be seen even today. Hieroschemamonk Misail built up here a little wooden church with the titular saint "Virgin´s entrance to the church “founding "Daniel and Misail Hermitage". The old stone and brick church was built in 1676 in the place of the small wooden church, being built by the former bishop of Râmnic, Varlaam, Mitropolit of the Romanian Country. The new church, or the Great Church with a square shape,with two levels, ground floor and first floor was built between 1897 - 1901 by Bishop Gherasim Timus of Arges with the titular saint “Transfiguration”.
The monastery was emptied during the World War I (between 1916 and 1918). On the night of 6 to 7 February of1932 a fire destroyed in one hour, five groups of houses with 26 rooms, two barns, the old refectory, the bell tower, the church steeple of the small church, the iconostasis with all the icons and vigil lamps and the interior painting was degraded as well as the plastering. The only constructions that escaped the fire were the house of Gherasim Timus and the sanctums from the valley. In 1933 was restored the entire monastic assembly.
Between 1935 and 1938 were built the sanctums and the entire area was renovated. Here, a school of church singers had functioned until 1939. Following the Decree 410/1959, the monastery was abolished in 1961 and transformed into a Rest house for the staff of the Ramnic and Arges Episcopacy, until 1975, when it became a skete subordinated to Cozia monastery. In 1988 it became a monastery.