Monastic life: Monks with community life
Abbot: Archimandrite Vartolomeu Androni (exarch of the monasteries from the Archiepiscopate of Ramnic).
Telephone: 0250/750230; 0744/109208.
Titular Saint: „The holy trinity“ ( second day after “Rusalii” (Whitsunday) ).
History: It is a foundation that dates from the period between 1386-1388 and 1393, and belonged to Mirecea ce Batran (1386 - 1395, 1397 - 1418), the ruler of the big Romanian Country. It was hallowed at May 18 of 1388 and it is one of the most important foundations made by Mircea cel Batran.
Over time, the church and the sanctums underwent several restorations. The church built by craftsmen of Moravia was preserved in its original form with the architectonical style of the Serbian school. From the old church lasted for centuries the whole building of stone and from paintings only the inside of the narthex.
The church was repaired by the ruler Neagoe Basarab (1512 - 1521) in 1517, when they made some repairs on the painting from the nave and the stone fountain with church´s name was built right in front of the church.
Between 1704 and1707, the family of patriarch Serban Cantacuzino, from the time of the ruler Constantin Brancoveanu (1688 - 1714), restored the church, added the porch and the windows from the inside of the nave and the altar were extended for more light and the painting was restored as well. Constantin Brancoveanu gave to the monastery the chandeliers found inside the nave and narthex. Cozia was emptied after the secularization of the monasteries in 1863 when Greek monks left the country. During the World War I (1916 - 1919) the buildings of Cozia were used for the stationing of troops, and the church transformed into horse stable. Some horses were haltered to the columns of Mircea cel Batran tomb which caused this tombstone destruction. Last reinforcement and renovation took place between the years 1958 and 1962. Historical monument.
Graves: Mircea cel Batran died at his home of Arges on February 4 of 1418. He was brought to Cozia and buried in a crypt over which was placed a tombstone that was destroyed as shown up.
In 1938, on the grave of Mircea was placed another plaque imitating the original model. The tomb was desecrated several times, most recently in 1917, during the German occupation. From the remains of the voivode remained only a few bones. Next to the grave of Mircea, rests the nun Teofana, mother of Mihai Viteazul (1593 - 1601), who became a monk after her son was killed on Campia Turzii., and she was buried here in 1605.
The museum has six rooms, where we can find painted icons on wood and glass, religious objects, prints, manuscripts, Gospels, Psalms in verse of Dosoftei, fragments of tombstones of Mircea cel Batran etc.
On the other side of the road we can find Bolnita, with the titular saint “Saint Peter and Paul” (June 29) founded by the ruler Radu Paisie (1535-1545).