Monastic life: Nuns with community life
Abess: Stavrofora Ambrozia Rucăreanu.
Titular Saint: „Holy Archangels Mihail and Gavril" (8 nov.).
History: It was Founded between 1633 and 1634 by the ruler Matei Basarab (1632 - 1654) and Mrs. Elina on the foundation of an old church. The tradition tells us that Matei Basarab built the monastery here, because before he had been named the Ruler, and had been pursued by the Turks after a lost battle, he had found escape by hiding in a sedge of a small local lake. Between 1705 - 1706, the Ruler Constantin Brancoveanu (1688 - 1714) added the porch with tower, which was painted in Brâncoveanu style, rebuilt the iconostasis from glided lime wood, a true work of sculpted art in Brâncoveanu style. He repaired the painting without affecting the original one and made the church door, carved in chestnut wood, which had been preserved until today.
Between 1852 and 1856, the Ruler Barbu Ştirbei (1849 - 1856) restored all the architectural assemble in Gothic style, renovated the church, knocking down old sanctums from the time of Matei Basarab and raised other buildings. In 1934 they also built some sanctums preserved until today, one being a museum. Between 1954 and 1958 was consolidated the whole monastic establishment. Until 1999 it worked as a monastery of monks and then it became a convent. In the narthex of the church we can find the tomb of Matei Basarab who died on April 9, and was first buried at Targoviste, and in 1658 his remains were brought to Arnota church, together with the remains of his father Danciu.