Monastic life: Nuns with community life.
Abess: Stavrofora Mihaela Tamaş.
Telephone: 0250/863327; 0744/552217.
Titular Saint: „Assumption of Virgin Mary” (15 aug.).
History: It was founded around 1490 by Craioveşti boyars and it was raised by Barbu Craiovescu and his brothers Pârvu, Radu, and hegumen Macarie. The first documentary mention appears in 1494 at March 16, in a record of the ruler Vlad Voda the Monk (1481-1495) by which he strengthens the rule of the Monastery from the Bistrita river over a total of 14 villages and lands. The first foundation was destroyed to the ground by an army expedition of the voivode Mihnea ce Rau(1508-1509) in 1509.
In 1519, ban Barbu restored the monastery with the support of the ruler Neagoe Basarab (1512-1521). The ruler Constantin Brancoveanu (1688 - 1714) donated to the monastery, chandeliers adorned with ostrich eggs, the big bell, objects of worship, liturgical books, repaired the endowment which was painted in 1820 by the big ban Grigore Brâncoveanu. The 1838 earthquake and the passage of time required for demolition and reconstruction works. The works were started in 1846 by the ruler Gheorghe Bibescu (1843-1848) and completed by the ruler Ştirbei Voda (1849-1856) on August 15, 1855, when the great Churh with the titular saint “Assumption of Virgin Mary” was hallowed. The painting was executed by Gheorghe Tattarescu in 1850. The golden iconostasis of linden wood was made in Vienna.
After 1877, various socio-cultural institutions functioned inside the monastery. Since 1948, the monastery had been working as a convent which until it was dissolved by the Decree 410/1959. At the beginning of 1984 the monastic life was revived. At the monastic complex Bistrita was installed the first printing press in the Romanian Country, where, in 1508, the Slavonic Liturgy of the monk Macarie was printed. It was the first book printed on Romanian soil.
Bolnita Church was built by the Great Ban Barbu Craiovescu probably between 1520 and 1521 having the titular saint "Transfiguration" (August 6.). Some think the church “Bolnita” was built before that period. The church has an impressive fresco inside. The iconostasis made in 1634 is a true jewel of the Romanian art. Between 1703 and 1710 an open porch with a large painting was added.
The holy Relics: the Relics of "Saint Gregory Decapolis" (780-842), great miracle worker during his life and as well after his death. The Relics were brought from Constantinople in 1497 by the great ban Barbu. In 1656, Mrs. Balasa, wife of voivode Constantin Serban (1654-1661) ordered a golden coffin in which the holy relics were placed. In 2005, the shrine was restored and gilded.
The monastery is located near: Cave "Saint Gregory Decapolis". It was named this way because in times of persecution the cave housed the shrine of the saint. Here we can find the Church Ovidenia dedicated to Virgin Mary´s Entrance to the Church, which dates from the ending of the fifteenth century, founded by Hieromonk Macarie and the Skete of Holy Archangels, located next to the cave´s large opening, founded in 1633 by Metropolitan Teofil.
Papusa Skete:- it is located near the convent, across the river. You can reach the skete in 15 minutes on a path to NE over Bistrita River. The Church with the titular saint "Assumption" was built in 1712, having as founders Bistrita monks headed by Hegumen Stefan, who dedicated the skete to Saint Gregory Decapolis.