Monastic Life: Nuns with community life
Abess: Nun Marina Comăniciu.
Telephone: 0250/860071; 0745/918086.
Titular Saint: „ Saint Emperors Constantin and Elena “(21 mai), „ Saint Martyrs Brâncoveni" (16 aug.).
History: It is the most important foundation of the Ruler Constantin Brancoveanu the martyr (1688 - 1714) and the most representative architectural complex in Brancoveanu style. The works started in 1690 under the supervision of the great “stolnic” Pârvu Cantacuzino, who died in 1691, followed by the great “armas” Cernica Ştirbei, were completed in 1697.
The outer enclosure of the monastery is surrounded by fortified brick walls and includes a building at the right side of the entrance. From outside we go inside the central chamber under a canopy, above which rises the bell tower, which houses four large bells, weighing between 300 and 1000 kg. Inside the nave from the central chamber of the large church are painted the faces of the members of Cantacuzino and Brâncoveanu families. The pavilion of the hegumen Dionisie Balacescu, built between 1752 and1753 by the mason Joseph is a real architectural jewel that delights visitors. Until 1872 it was a monastery of monks, and afterwards it became a convent. The narthex of the church houses the tomb which the voievode prepared for himself during his lifetime, but it remained empty, because after the martyrdom in 1714, his remains were brought home and buried secretly at the church "Sfantul Gheorghe Cel Nou" from Bucharest. In 1993, the monastery was registered to the World Heritage. Historical Monument
As subordinate sketes of the Hurezi Monastery we can find:
1. The Skete „Sfinţii Apostoli", skete of nuns, with community life, situated at 500m North of Hurezi Monastery, foundation of Archimandrite Ioan, hegumen of Hurezi Monastery in 1968, with the financial support of Constantin Brâncoveanu. Historical Monument
2. The Skete„Sfântul Ştefan", skete of nuns, with community life, situated at 1km W of Hurezi Monastery, foundation of Stefan, son of Constantin Brâncoveanu, in 1703.